Pages

Friday, July 29, 2016

Learning the Hard Way pt.2

This is not good. 30 minutes into the painting session, I had to stop and vacate the area. I should have known, well, I knew it was a big trouble from the moment I opened the cap of my new paint thinner. But somehow I ignored all the signs for the purpose of experiment.

I could feel my throat swelling and starting to block the airway, and I could hear my braincells dying. (not really). The windows on my left were open and a fan was blowing air towards the windows about 6 feet away. My easel, palette, and the solvent cup was situated between the fan and the windows as usual.

Below is the updated list of solvents that I have used so far to thin oil paint, from harsh to mild:
artist-grade turpentine
Xtra-Mild Citrus Thinner
Turpenoid
tie: Gamsol & Neutral Thin
(*this list is not based on any scientific data, and I have nothing to do with any of the manufacturers.)

The Citrus Thinner was the one I tried earlier today, and I still can't feel my throat when swallowing food or drinks. Have you painted with solvent when you have a bad cold with sore throat? It kinda feels like that. But again, it's not the thinner's fault, I'm just the unlucky one.

this smells like turpentine mixed with citrus oil.
not great for upper-respiratory ailment sufferers.

I love orange. I love citrus oil. But we were just not meant to be together, Xtra-Mild.

No comments:

Post a Comment